Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Deer in the Headlights pt 5: UberMan

Sitting outside of the door marked "TNT" I sat and talked to JJ Barea for a while, he was also sitting on the floor outside the door waiting for whatever was going on behind the door to finish, it kind of reminded me of sitting in the hallway at school talking to my friends, waiting for the morning bell to sound off, and as the bell rang the most popular kid in school steps out and looks dead at me, of course in this case the most popular kid at school is German Uberman, and Dallas MVP Dirk Nowitzki, the man that I've raved on about, and cheered for many years now is standing in front me, and I managed to ask for a quick interview, to which he gracefully responded "Sure"

He was being led by two women who were ushering him off to another room, I could tell by the look on their faces that I had just interrupted "The Schedule" one of them asked if I was able to "Walk and talk" with them, is she kidding? this is Dirk Nowitzki I would skateboard alongside his car going 90 on 75! "absolutely" was my answer.

After Dirk spent a few minutes speaking with someone from ESPN we were on our way.
I had to get the "fan girl" out of my system, I told him how tall he was, asked him to give a German shout out to my younger brother, then it was business! -_- <= Business Face

Bathory: Ok Dirk, real quick I just wanted to talk about one of my favorite moments this season, which was the only game I was able to make it to, the game versus the Utah Jazz back in April, 2-3 seconds left on the clock, you managed to get the ball from Eddie Jones and hit that major 3, right after Deron Williams.

DIRK: Right, to win it!

Bathory: How good was that feeling?

DIRK: You know I haven't really had a lot of those over my career so, that was a special moment, you know that game, was a great game, we went back and forth, and they had tied it right before, and we were able to come down and win on the last second, it was definitely a fun moment, you know everytime the ball or the game is down the wire, and you're able to come through for your team and win with the last second shot it's a good feeling.

Bathory: And then you know we have to talk about the MVP trophy, how great was that?

DIRK: Well, you know it was definitely one of the proudest moments of my NBA career, I was obviously really sad that we lost that year in the first round, but looking back in whatever twenty or thirty years it's still going to be one of the greatest things I accomplished, and nobody can take that away from me. My mom actually has it at home, I gave her the trophy, so I saw it all summer at home, at my parents place, so it was definitely a great accomplishment.

Bathory: And of course the competing in the olympics this year?

DIRK: Yeah, that was my dream, I've worked on it for ten or eleven years now and we were never able to make it, we always fell short, and being able to make this year was a dream come true, I had a blast, I got to know so many other athletes, and hangout, and the opening ceremony was amazing you know, me walking down with the flag, I was leading my nation into the stadium, so it was amazing, I was so happy.

Bathory: And can we expect more triple doubles this year?

DIRK: Oh wow, well you know I only have one for my career, I'm definitely going to work on it, but you know since we have Kidd, he's such a great basketball player you know, he needs to have the ball in his hands most of the time so he's going to be doing most of the passing, and I'm going to do most of the scoring.

Bathory: Absolutely, that's what you're great at!

Triple Doubles or not for Dirk there is no denying that he's the main piece for this team, the glue that holds the team together, despite what many critics say, Dirk Nowitzki is an MVP, a National Leader and an inspiration and no one can take that away from him!

No comments: