Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Deer in the Headlights pt 4: JJ Barea

Just Friday I got a chance to see JJ Barea outside of this Mavs uniform, but he was still playing ball (VolleyBall) but today was all Mavs business so I wanted to ask JJ a few question to see what he's been up to, and get his opinion on a few things.

Bathory: Hey J.J., I don't know if you remember me or not, but I met you Friday at the Brandon Bass volleyball tournament on Friday.

JJB: Oh yeah, I thought I recognized you.

Bathory: Yeah, so how fun was that for you? playing in the tournament?

JJB: It was a good time, it was better than what I thought it was going to be, it was a lot of fun, and I think even the players had fun so, it was good.

Bathory: Had you ever played volleyball before?

JJB: Yeah, I played volleyball throughout highschool and stuff.

Bathory: Yeah, you were pretty good.

JJB: Thank you.

Bathory: So what are you looking forward to this year?

JJB: It's my third year here with Dallas, and I think it's going to be a really good year for us, we're more relaxed, and we're going to have a lot more fun, and try to make the best out of it.

Bathory: So what does Coach Carlisle bring to the table that Avery Johnson didn't?

JJB: I think he's more like a player's coach, he's going to let us play a little more freely, and we're going to run a little bit more, and I think he's better for the team.

Bathory: Well one of the things being said, is that a lot of the players stopped listening to Avery, that he couldn't get through to anyone anymore, why do you think that is?

JJB: Avery is an intense coach, he's really intense, he wants to get the best out of the players, and I think he just got tired, towards me he was a great coach, he was always good to me.

One argument of mine concerning Avery and JJ was that Barea was rarely brought into a game when he could have been a difference maker, JJ has the talent and makings of an all star player, but hasn't really been given the chance to show it, there were times when Devin Harris was hurt mainly that JJB was able to show a glimpse of what he could, maybe now that only he and Jason Terry are on the roster as backups for JKIDD, JJ can start to flourish, if that's the case, Carlisle really is what the doctor ordered.

-B

No comments: